THE CULTURED WAY ® TOMATO AND BASIL YOGURT CHEESE MEDITERRANEAN PASTA PIE
6-8 ounces very fine or angel hair pasta; cook & drain (do not rinse)
2 Tbsps. butter
3 cups (12 ounces) Tomato & Basil Yogurt Cheese, shredded
2 well-beaten eggs
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 (16 oz.) package frozen Italian Turkey Sausage, thawed
1 cup onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup sliced zucchini
½ cup diced green pepper
1 tsp. dried basil
1 (14.5 oz.) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
1 tsp. oregano, crushed
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F
2. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain; do not rinse; set aside
3. Butter bottom and sides of deep-dish pie plate
4. In large bowl, mix warm pasta with butter, gradually stir in 1 cup Yogurt Cheese and eggs
5. Form pasta mixture into a “crust” in pie plate.
6. In large skillet, heat oil; cook sausage, onions and garlic until meat is browned. Drain off excess fat.
7. Add sliced zucchini, green pepper; stir in un-drained tomatoes, tomato paste, and seasonings to taste; cook until vegetables are slightly tender.
8. Fold in 2nd cup of Yogurt Cheese, reserve remaining cup for topping.
9. Turn mixture into pasta crust. Bake, uncovered, 20-30 minutes.
10. Distribute the remaining cheese on top; bake 10 minutes longer or till cheese melts.
11. Cut into wedges to serve.