THE CULTURED WAY ® YOGURT CHEESY AND SWEET CHERRY BRUNCH EMPANADAS
1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated pie crust rounds (2 crusts)
1 can (20 oz.) crushed pineapple, well drained (or fresh ripe pineapple)
½ cup raisins
1 cup dried cherries
1 cup cherry preserves or jam with fruit pieces
1 cup chopped toasted walnuts
2 cups (8 ounces) Classic Original Yogurt Cheese, shredded
1 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 egg, whisked for crust wash
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Unfold both pie crust rounds on 2 baking sheets. In a bowl, combine pineapple, raisins, cherries, cherry preserves, walnuts, spices and cheese; mix lightly.
3. Spoon half of mixture onto half of each pie crust round within ½ inch of edge. Fold other half of pastry over filling, making a half circle; then seal along edges. Empanadas will be in shape of half circle.
4. Brush with egg wash, and sprinkle lightly with sugar (cinnamon optional).
5. Cut four small slits in top of each empanada. Bake for 30 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown.
6. To serve, cut each empanada into 6 wedges.
7. Serve topped with drizzled honey.
Helpful Hint: Make sure yogurt cheese is extra cold to make shredding easier!
This recipe can be used to make small empanadas. Simply cut out rounds of dough from the pie crust and proceed with the recipe accordingly.